Tel:+27(0)11 544 0300
Physical address:Block B Metropolitan Office Park
8 Hillside Road Parktown
Postal address:Private Bag X125
Established in 2006 as one element of Discovery Holdings’ black economic empowerment transaction, the Discovery Foundation is an independent trust that is investing at least R150 million in grants towards developing South Africa’s scarce specialist healthcare resources.
The Discovery Foundation Awards include scholarships, bursaries and research fellowships as well as support for teaching and research institutions.
It is expected to support training of around 300 new medical specialists over ten years – focusing on training specialists for rural areas, developing academic medicine and research centres and increasing the number of sub-specialists.
The Discovery Foundation makes four groups of awards each year to outstanding individual and institutional candidates, benefiting academic medicine, rural healthcare, specialist training and service delivery and innovation:
- The Discovery Foundation Rural Fellowship Awards aim to attract and keep medical doctors in rural areas by facilitating access to resources and opportunities to develop professionally.
- The Discovery Foundation Sub-specialist Awards aim to address the shortage of funded training posts in HPCSA-registered sub-specialties at accredited South African academic and affiliated institutions.
- The Discovery Foundation Academic Fellowship Awards aim to promote research-focused training in academic medicine in South Africa.
- The Discovery Foundation Excellence Award is an award to boost healthcare resources by recognising an organisation that shows excellence in service delivery, training and innovation
- MGH, Sub-specialist Awards and Academic Fellowship Awards – 15 October 2018
- Awards for Rural and Underserved Areas and Excellence Award – 15 January 2019