Frequently Asked Questions
- WHAT DOES TSHIKULULU SOCIAL INVESTMENTS DO?
2. WHERE DO I FIND INFORMATION ON THE DIFFERENT TSHIKULULU CLIENTS?
Each of our clients have differing funding strategies. Please visit the clients page on our website to find more information about each of our clients.
If you are an organisation applying for funding, always do your research first and make sure that your funding proposal aligns with the strategies and objectives of the client you are approaching.
3. WHERE DO I ACCESS APPLICATIONS AND WHO PROCESSES THEM?
Our Fund Management Division processes all applications for social investment funding on behalf of our clients. To find out which clients are currently accepting funding applications, refer to apply for funding.
4. WHAT IS THE APPLICATION ASSESSMENT PROCESS?
Open Call for Applications
When one of our clients puts out an open call for applications, Tshikululu Social Investments usually conducts a two-phase application process. Below is an illustration of the application process:
5. HOW LONG DOES THE APPLICATION PROCESS TAKE?
Tshikululu usually undertakes a two-phase application process as illustrated above. The Phase 1 application process usually takes about one month, after which the applicant either receives a notice of decline or a notice to continue to the second phase of the process. If you are proceeding to phase two, a full online application will be sent and upon submission, it usually takes 3-6 months until a final decision on the application is made.
6. WHERE AND WHEN DOES ONE APPLY FOR FUNDING?
Applications are submitted electronically via our electronic application platform. Electronic applications are accessed using the unique link for a specific client. Please visit apply for funding to see which clients are currently open for applications and to find the unique link applicable to that call for applications. Tshikululu usually announces any new calls for applications via our social media accounts as well, so please check these pages regularly.
7. WHAT IS THE PROCESSING FEE?
There is no fee payable by an applicant, neither for receiving nor processing a funding application, and certainly not for reviewing a funding proposal. Tshikululu will never ask an applicant to pay a fee to have their application received or reviewed.
Please contact the Vuvuzela Hotline should you experience any behaviour you believe to be unethical.
8. DOES TSHIKULULU MAKE FUNDING DECISIONS?
Tshikululu makes recommendations to our clients for funding, but all actual funding decisions are made by our clients. In some cases, Tshikululu puts out calls for applications related to its own funding. If this is the case, it will be clearly advertised on the apply for funding page.
9. WHO QUALIFIES FOR FUNDING?
Each of our clients has different qualification criteria. Please visit the clients page to find more information about each of our clients.
Most of our clients that are registered as public benefit organisations (PBO) can only provide financial assistance to organisations that are themselves PBO-registered, and which are undertaking public benefit activities (as defined in Schedule 9 to the Income Tax Act of 1962). However, in some cases our clients are able to fund non-PBOs.
The following activities and areas are NOT supported by any of our clients, at present:
- Political or quasi-political bodies
- Religious organisations (except community outreach projects that are open to all)
- Trade unions
- Overseas tours and exchanges
- Sporting activities, sports and recreation clubs (except for specific projects that are focused on community development)
- Company promotions and membership subscriptions
- Musical festivals/choir events and/or video and film productions
- Fundraising gala events
- Advertising in educational or other supplements
- Conferences, workshops and memorial lectures (except in special circumstances where the focus of the event is directly aligned with the Foundation’s work and there is a strong strategic case for support)
- General or generic fundraising requests (only specific requests are considered)
- Meeting costs of collecting donations from others
10. HOW MUCH FUNDING CAN ONE APPLY FOR?
Each of our clients has different funding budgets and strategies. Please visit the clients page to find more information about our clients.
11. WHAT DOCUMENTS NEED TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF A FUNDING APPLICATION / FUNDING PROPOSAL?
Broadly, there are two types of documents that are required on application, i.e. documents to verify and confirm the applicant’s credentials and those that verify and confirm the applicant’s financial standing. The video below elaborates in great detail the types of documents and at which stage of the application process.
Please see the video in the following link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIhsbacizvI
12. HOW DO I KNOW THAT MY APPLICATION / FUNDING PROPOSAL HAS BEEN RECEIVED?
You will receive an email confirming successful submission of the online electronic application form. The email will include all the information that you entered on the electronic application form. This email will also provide you with a unique project number, which has been allocated to your application.
13. WHO CAN I CONTACT WITH QUERIES ABOUT THE CALL FOR APPLICATIONS, THE APPLICATION PROCESS, OR THE STATUS OF MY APPLICATION?
Please direct your queries via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We endeavour to reply to all emails to this address within three working days. Kindly quote project no. where applicable on the subject line and the client of interest.
You are also welcome to call our Administration
Team via our switchboard on 011 544 0300.
14. HOW CAN I TRACK THE STATUS OF MY APPLICATION / FUNDING PROPOSAL/REPORT SUBMISSION?
During the initial screening phase (i.e. Phase 1 application), kindly call our Administration Team via our switchboard on 011 544 0300.
Should your application proceed to Phase 2 of the process, it will be allocated to a Social Investment Analyst (or in some cases a Social Investment Specialist). You are welcome to email your assigned contact person directly at this point (you will be duly informed by the administration team). Please quote your unique project number in the subject line in all correspondence. Please afford five working days to respond to your email query.